Monday, July 26, 2010

True Blood

I'm now five episodes into the third season of True Blood, and I get that slight inkling that I'm going to watch this show for as long as it's on simply because it is what it is. This is to say, the first season was tremendous. The second season was great, but the characters were uneven. The third season is having a difficult time grasping me the way the previous two did. I can't quite put my finger on it; perhaps there are too many vampires in pop culture now; perhaps it's the general lack of Sookie nudity. We'll never know.

So they've introduced werewolves into the series now, which sounds great but I find lacking. Perhaps they will take on a bigger role and become more involved. But then again, I know they can't take the center stage because this show is all about vampires, after all. It's great that they have other mythical creatures roaming about and I always hope they expand on them. Werewolves seem to have the ability to change at any time, which seems odd, right?

But what's really going on are the flashbacks with Northman. The show has featured flashbacks, obviously to go into details of how a vampire was turned, but we keep going back to a wide variety of time periods with Northman and they are great. By far, this character will be the most fleshed out, involved and quite simply interesting one in the series. Which is a problem, because Sookie, and some of her friends, are just getting terrible. Essentially, the unevenness introduced in the second season continues with this one, but we can always hold out hope that it gets tied together in the end. A part of me knows the best way to watch these shows is one after another within a short period, not once per week.

All that being said, the quality of the show is still quite high and I don't want to give you the wrong impression: I look forward to it every week

1 comment:

Matt said...

S1 was decent enough. S2 wasn't that good. It had a good premise, but they ended the good part S2 to focus on the filler, which was that stupid ancient bull lady, aka Ensign Ro. S3, I watched the first 3 or 4, and am now in no rush to watch the rest.