Friday, July 16, 2010

Saw IV

These movies are ridiculous, but the sadist in me seems to enjoy the creative ways in which people get dispatched. After twenty some odd years of watching various genres of movies, you've seen a lot of people die on screen, and in many different ways. In fact there must be some good top ten lists devoted to the subject, and if I was a person who cared, you would get one on this very site: but I'm lazy.

Dave and I went to see the first Saw in theatres, and I'm pretty sure we thought it was terrible. Am I mistaken? Because years later I would re-watch this same film, and decide that it was OK. There must be some scientific name for this effect: the first iteration becomes better as the number of sequels increases, with each one decreasing in quality. Or perhaps the first Saw was actually a decent movie, with an original concept, decent acting and proper execution (haha...sorry).

So I watched this one, expecting nothing really but graphic murders. Perhaps it was because the air conditioning was causing too much noise, but I had no idea what was going on here. It also didn't help that I was falling asleep on and off to varying degrees throughout the movie. What's the worst though is that I don't know who any of these characters are: I get the impression they've been involved in the previous movies but I can't be certain of their significance. I was really thrown off at the end when it seems that two of the characters look almost identical: I thought perhaps Jigsaw finally cloned somebody: your doppelganger murdering you, just because he can. Damn.

I just want to throw one more thing into why I enjoy the Saw movies: they are horror movies I can safely watch and know they are not going to give me nightmares later on. Just safe,good old fashioned family entertainment.

No comments: