Thursday, July 29, 2010

Goose on the Move

Sometimes I park in the donut at work: this is not as delicious as it should be, but every so often I make up for this and purchase a donut at work, but not in the morning.

The donut is a small roundabout in front of one of the entrances at work; in fact it's the entrance I use all the time as it's nice and close to my office. Or perhaps I should just say, my desk. In any event this little roundabout has a bit of a circular "garden" in the middle, which serves a couple of functions. One of which I suppose is to control chaos, forcing traffic in a particular direction. The other is to look pleasant. And I quote garden because I'm not sure what constitutes a garden: I am indeed not knowing. This particular collection of plants seem to grow pretty naturally, look pretty harsh to walk through and in general, is not colourful or flowerful. But it's still nice.

So I was approaching the circle and a goose was making its way quickly to this little planted area. As I slowed to begin going around the donut, the goose was stretching it's neck to see over the low shrubbery, calculating the height of these plants and quickly looking to either side. He sought refuge, and was uncertain if he found it. 

I circled around the donut to the opposite side and stopped the car. I pop open the door and this goose is just crashing through the brush, not caring what he's stepping on yet going full speed because he's terrified of this little island of green. I just didn't understand why he didn't fly, as well as why he was alone: these things are always in gangs. He sees me and stops. Now he must face the decision of killing me or going back. His first though must have been murder as he yelled, squawking a few good times. He's harmless though. I proceeded to the building and LOL'd.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing