Monday, July 12, 2010

Lego Rock Band

There are too many Rock Band and Guitar Hero games out there. There are not ENOUGH Rock Band and Guitar Hero games out there. The conflict is strong.

I absolutely love going through these games, and also, enjoying them with friends. I find it quite relaxing to just go through set list after set list, blasting through some quality tunes. It's also a lot of fun playing the hits with your friends. What I do not get a lot of enjoyment from, is trying to improve my skill on these games: I'm a player who is stuck at medium; that extra colour is just asking for a little too much. However, that is not entirely true as I can play quite a few songs on hard mode, with the bass guitar only though: hard guitar is just too much. 

Rock Band came around and it was a bit easier [than the Guitar Hero series], but I don't get a kick out of endlessly practicing, which is why I'm excited when a new iteration comes out, with a selection of good songs. I will not pay full price though: I've waited until now, when the game is under twenty dollars, to pick up Lego Rock Band. I've picked up Guitar Hero Aerosmith months ago for $4.99. At such prices, they are an incredible value of gameplay.

Do you like the "Lego" games humour? Perhaps I'm too dense, but I just don't get it. I'm not a fan of it. I've tried playing Lego Batman and it's just too weird. I also don't like how I have no clear idea of what is going on in these games: why are there so many areas that I just can't get to? Perhaps I'm too used to being spoon-fed linear gameplay and I've lost the ability to play games that are geared towards children (but appeal and are enjoyed by adults, calm down)? Turns out they are pulling a Donkey Kong 64 on us all. I won't stand for it. 

The fact is, Lego Rock Band is just a skin: the note highway is the same thing, but instead of shiny bars, you get Lego bricks. You get Lego characters, who I think look terrible and the customization doesn't sit well: the bodies are always a different shade than the faces?! And you get Lego cut-scenes, complete with lack of speech and that Lego humour. I skip them.

But it's all about the music, and this game has a good selection. I'm not going out buying pop albums, but I enjoy playing through these oddly catchy tunes in game. I'm glad they are there as they give you a break from the classic rock and metal that is abundant in the Guitar Hero series. They also further refine the tour mode which is...good.

For me, these games are a reprieve from your "hardcore" titles, such as Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. I'm actually hoping that after a few hours of this, I will be able to pick up Mass Effect II. Now, if you excuse me, I need to go download all the Franz Ferdinand tracks for Rock Band!

No comments: