Friday, December 03, 2010

Skyline

My memory fails me: I could have sworn I wrote a one-liner on the trailer for Skyline. Perhaps I did, and the post never saw the light of day. Well, the fact is, I thought the trailer looked interesting, and I LOL'd when I saw the tongue latch onto a helicopter. The movie was dismissed. But, in my circle, there was excitement for this movie, and for good reason. Science fiction, starring a grotesque alien invasion with slick looking special effects and the hook: you look, you die.

I was misled and surprised when this movie came out, seemingly out of nowhere without fanfare. It was being critically panned: I was informed of an 11% rating. The tomato has been wrong in the past though.

In contrast to a movie such as Independence Day, this film takes place entirely from the perspective of a group of nobodies, holed up in the penthouse of a tall building that has prime viewing of the end of the world. ID4 takes you on a veritable trip of ranks, from the goofy crop-duster to the president himself, ending with such magnificence and massiveness that you can't help but be entertained as you cheer for human race. If anything, Skyline entertains but depresses at the same time, which is not all that surprising anymore. Gone are the days of gift wrapped happy endings: aliens are invading, they want our brains and there is no stopping them.

The movie doesn't convey emotions as well as it could, I suppose, but it gets the point across. I'm more concerned about these aliens; I'm left wanting more. Where do they come from? Are they purely organic? Are they cybernetically enhanced? Answering any of these would be bad as it would take you away from the near-first person perspective and shift you into the seat of the Watcher himself. Do we get a sequel? The ending seems to have left a few people thinking so. I kind of saw it as an extra infusion of cash to add some more to the movie.

Perhaps it is true: you either love this movie or hate it, except for a one person...you know who you are! This movie gets a respectable 7.5/10

No comments: