Wednesday, December 22, 2010

On Blu-Ray, Nobody Can Hear you Scream

My, I have made quite a few posts regarding the Alien series of movies. More accurately, the first two movies. Shameful, but I haven't even seen the third or fourth. I just watched the first two again, on Blu-Ray, and have to say they look absolutely amazing. More movies should be given this treatment. I've been holding off on watching these two films until I got my new television set, and now that it's in place, I could finally take a look.

The TV is really wonderful; I'll be sure to have a post dedicated to it soon enough, after I get more of a chance to play with it. These two movies are great, perfect 10s of course, and they really shine here. I didn't think it was possible to get so much detail out of such old movies, but it goes to show you what "they" can do when given the proper time and dedication. I recall a while back when the original Star Trek series was being released in high definition, how great the picture was. When the proper work is done, the image can be brought up to reference quality and best modern-day movies without a problem.

I guess Cameron had everybody in an uproar when he said they will be "de-noising" the film, which when done with Predator, made everyone look like plastic. The transfer lost it's grain and film-like quality. Well whatever he said, it didn't put a negative on the movie. There is a layer of grain on the movie [Aliens] that just looks splendid, and very smooth.

There's not much else to say about it: the quality is astounding and the films themselves are even better. It's safe to say these are both "top five" movies, if you will, and it's time I gave the others a bit of respect and watch them.

No comments: