Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Easy A

You have to know the primary motivator for watching this film is for Emma Stone. Every since you saw her in Zombieland, you were in love. And by you, I could very well mean, me. To each their own. You (ok, I) realized then that she was in Superbad, which wasn't all that great but I still have it on Blu-Ray, so whatever that tells you, ignore it. All of a sudden, she's driving her own movie. Obviously the Hollywood machine has decided she will be a star, or she is very talented. I'm no judge of acting ability unless it's really terrible, so all I can say is that she is not a terrible actress by any stretch. This leads me to believe that Hollywood has fallen in love with her, and for good reason. The fact that she will be Gwen Stacy concretes the idea.

So how does she fare in this movie? I was a bit skeptical but also a bit entranced by the trailer for this film: a girl, who is not a harlot, pretends to be by effectively allowing rumours to go around school indicating she is sleeping with every guy out there.She emblazes the letter 'A' on her clothes and dresses provocatively to really drive the nail home and let everyone know that she gets around. Things get a little hairy when the lies spin ever so slightly out of control, but for the most part the guys who pay for her "services" effectively have better lives as they become more popular, and in many of the cases, do much better because their self-confidence is improved, even though they did not actually commit the act.

So one of the major things I took away from this film was the telephone game: rumours spread like wildfire when they are juicy, and they spread like wildfire full of napalm when they spread in a high school. Modern society makes it so: everybody has a cell phone and armed with a text plan. As soon as something happens a single person can text a dozen, and then another dozen, compounded...you know how it works. Within an hour everybody should know the rumour or some variation on it. This is not something that I can relate to but definitely I can understand: when I was in high school there was nary a cell phone around (I think they were still relegated to being car phones) and even in university, cell phone usage was not high. In the past five years, it has exploded. There are stats out there that say the average person texts 60 times a day. Seriously? My brain melts out of my ears thinking about it.

There are a few other points to the movie that probably aren't worth discussing: it's funny and worth the watch. The movie wraps up with a happy ending but not for everybody: there are consequences. Teenagers are a funny bunch.

No comments: