Thursday, October 21, 2010

Feed Her!

Absolutely disgusting. Absolutely fascinating. Absolutely ridiculous.

Quite a few months ago I downloaded this trailer not knowing what it was about; Cale and I viewed it. We recoiled in horror and laughter. Obviously not a movie that was coming to a theater near you, I had to spread the word. The Human Centipede would become a joke and before you knew it, the film was all over the internet. Oddly enough, I saw this on Netflix and couldn't help myself: morbid curiosity got the best of me.

So the film centers around two American women, lost in the woods of Germany, who get caught up in an evil, mad scientist's jonesing to build a human centipede. That is, sewing three people together...well, I won't go into much detail. You can find more on the web; it's pretty disgusting, and quite the spectacle. The movie definitely delivers gross outs, terrible scenarios and questionable character actions. Instead of following the road when their car breaks down, the girls decide to tromp through the woods.

But, a movie like this doesn't have to make sense, it just has to entertain. And I was fairly surprised to find the quality of the film to be "up there." I was expecting a pretty low budget movie without that Hollywood gloss, but it was there. What's adding to that whole sentiment is how this idea gets pitched, accepted, budgeted and filmed. Who wants to be a part of such depravity? Well, the movie probably deserves the 5.1 rating it's receiving on IMDB, but I question the decision to produce a sequel (of course, it was probably quite inexpensive to make, and hence, pretty profitable).

Who knows though, perhaps this will be a cult phenomenon years down the road, as we gobble up special editions and recuts while we bask in the nostalgia of such a horrible idea.

No comments: