Saturday, October 23, 2010

Blu Alien

I couldn't help but get wrapped up in the excitement of the upcoming Blu Ray release of the Alien Quadrilogy. There are a few things that make me hesitant, first and foremost is the increased standards I have for disc purchasing. It's tough.

The biggest problem here is what I'll assume: these movies are only available in a package, and not individually. Is this a big deal? It is. I have never seen the third and fourth Alien movies. Shameful. The first two are such masterpieces I guess the desire to watch the others was minimized.

I bought those real nice, numbered collectors editions of the first two on DVD many years ago. Of course the quality was great and all, the packaging was fantastic but I never looked at the special features. It would take years for me to realize that just didn't need them; in fact I would tease myself with purchasing Superbit editions such as Panic Room and The Fifth Element. All the bits were devoted to the picture and sound, nothing wasted on relatively useless features.


So I started writing this with the intention of bringing this page to your attention: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/alien.htm It's hardcore; like, Rocklords hardcore. What got my attention and the reason I was browsing to it initially was a bit of fuss on the aspect ratio and cropping that was coming on these Blu Ray editions. Clearly, with the comparisons there seems to be, but nothing worth getting excited for. Just look at all the extra detail you're getting! What's really terrifying on these sorts of pages are the graphs comparisons the bitrates of the various editions. Also, the design is atrocious.

In the end I won't be making an effort to purchase these...simply because I don't want the complete package. Eventually they have to release these individually, and perhaps do away with the silly extra's discs. 

2 comments:

Dave said...

It's criminal that you can't buy these individually.

Ryebone said...

All part of the marketing machine, I guess! The cost is outrageous too...perhaps in a year we'll see the set split up.

I have to give credit to WB for their release of the Matrix stuff...a slick box set, then releasing the first one in the series in a special-enough edition (hardcover book style).