Sunday, September 07, 2008

More Movie Reviews

Wow, so much for the weekly movie review update, eh? July 11, you say? And now it's early September and surely, most definitely I have seen a large number of movies during this period. This is true, but I feel as though I could argue that it is not.

THE DARK KNIGHT - It is of course with absolute certainty that this movie was really, very, quite good. However, I'm not getting as excited for it as many others, and I can't pinpoint why exactly that could be. The movie basically had everything you could want out of it, including a perfect Joker performance by Heath, lots of neat gadgets, good action scenes and all the other fun Batman stuff. But really, it was lacking Bruce Wayne. He definitely took a backseat in this plot line. But still, I would give it a 9/10

THE LOST BOYS - This one I saw recently, twice. Now you may think that if I saw a movie twice within seven days that would indicate you know what, but that is not true. I tried watching this movie - probably about ten years ago or even more - and got nowhere with it. I stopped watching it. I don't know why. The movie is watchable and fairly entertaining, but I cannot determine why it was supposed to be so "great." Perhaps it wasn't. But you know people talk about this movie, and while watching it, you can completely understand why this was big in the eighties. So really, I enjoyed the movie but it fell a little short of my expectations. 6/10

DAY OF THE DEAD [2008] - Was anybody else aware that they remade this movie? In fact I have to check the IMDB just to confirm this movie exists. ... Check, it does exist, I did not dream this up. It also stars Mena Suvari...what? I'm in disbelief because this movie was really bad. While the remake of Dawn of the Dead was quite superb, this one really falls flat. Is this even in the same continuity or universe as the others? The original takes place in an underground military base where experimentation on the zombies leads to a reveal that zombies are still capable of thought, learning, and problem solving. They make this happen in this version too, but instead, the movie takes place in a cliche small town with all your standard, flat characters. Boring. But the most offensive bit of this movie is that they explain that people become zombies because of a man-made virus. What?! The mystery surrounding why the dead walk never needed this before, even in the previous remake, so why would they put us through an explanation now? It's downright offensive. The only thing this movie does is turn Romero's "classic" into another run-of-the-mill zombie movie. For crying out loud, we even have zombies performing Spider-Man wall-climbing maneuvers. Terrible. 3/10

1 comment:

Cale Morsen said...

Man, "The Lost Boys" really sucked some hardcore balls. Maybe if this film had been as integral to my childhood as it had been to so many others born in the 80's it might have had some nostalgic value for me, but without that the movie really has nothing. All apologies to Jason Patrick. Some appologies to Kiefer Sutherland.