Friday, September 19, 2008

Some Television

Well, not a single movie was watched this past week, and you may in fact ask yourself what has replaced them. And all I can respond with is: nothing and television. You are aware that new programming - fall programming - has begun for quite a few shows and that means that I now have another use for the television aside from catching up on old shows I missed the first time around. We can start off with Fringe, which was sold to me as a modern X-Files but with a more attractive Scully. Such promotion is proven true and I'm now committed to watching at least four more episodes.

If a show is terrible I have no qualms about shutting down viewing pretty quickly. This has happened numerous times in the past, most notably last year, where a show could not hold my interest for two episodes, it was done. And in all cases, these shows have not been renewed for another season. Read: Journeyman and....that show about the nuclear bombs. You know the one, where fans brought it back from the dead by sending in bags of peanuts? It was terrible, and I think even the fans who were happy it came back realized this the second time around. It would be akin to reviving a month old corpse and having it do a final dance for you, rotting flesh and all. It's just sad.

There have been some shows I gave up on that did well, like Reaper. Unfortunately these shows only grab about fifty percent of my attention, and it's just a matter of if something else is on that is more worthy. If I recall correctly something else was on that night and Reaper just died for me. Which brings me to an issue I had last year: I could only watch one show per night. This is probably going to be true this year too, but I'm working on it. I can talk about that more some other time.

Fringe. Good season opening, but it did feel a little rushed and nutty. I read somewhere that a show really picks itself up in episodes two through five, where it can find a groove and it's inner self. If this is true that I have high hopes for Fringe as the opening was solid. I'm going to watch the second episode tonight, I think.

House also premiered this past Tuesday. I finally got around to watching it on Thursday. It was good. I will continue to watch House because it's typically the same thing every week, and this kind of reliability is comforting. Kind of like watching The Office. Every week is just good comedy and you can go to sleep Thursday night happy. You can count on a good Thursday night.

What else...Entourage. One of those shows I got completely addicated to because I watched the first few seasons within a couple of weeks. Now it's slowing down cause I can only watch one per week, and it airs at odd times. Well, it seems to be starting with the rest of fall television, which is nice. And it doesn't look like the show is going to slow down itself. Just so we're clear, the season opening was great.

Alright, that's it for now. I'll be watching more television this weekend.

No comments: