Friday, December 02, 2011

Our Idiot Brother

This movie looked stupid. Well, perhaps idiotic. I'm not sure, but I think it was meant to be that way. The trailer flew under my radar, dismissed as mere comedic fodder thrown against the juggernauts that are summer blockbusters. It certainly doesn't help that it came out near the end of the summer, just about the time I stopped going to the theatre - although in saying that I realize that it would be unlikely that I would take in this movie at the theatre, unless it was part of a double feature paired with a more desirable movie. Sometimes it's how you find those hidden gems.

So it's Paul Rudd, as an idiot (Ned) - I suppose - who gets himself in trouble - because he's an idiot - and the movie proceeds to write itself afterwards, right? In re-watching the trailer, I'm surprised to see that it doesn't give everything away, but it also makes me wonder what could make this movie stand above the rest, and indeed, there isn't anything, save for Ned's incredibly beautiful sisters. I mean incredible. Go spend some time on Google doing an image search. I'll wait.

Zoeey, say no more. Elizabeth Banks? Please. Emily Mortimer? More, thank you. You want Rashida Jones? Here you go. I think the only reason I put this onto the radar, and was (slightly) excited to watch it was because of the trifecta above (Jones isn't one of the sisters, so I guess she doesn't count. Not sure why, don't argue). So back onto the plot synopsis: Ned gets himself in trouble with the law, goes to jail and is released early on good behaviour. Of course, he's a bit of a carefree hippy, and jail presumably fits him fine: it doesn't affect his laid back attitude, which gets on the nerves of his sisters. He is pushed to live with each sister one after another, as he seemingly destroys some aspect of their lives with his "idiot-ness."

But it's not all idiot, of course. Ned has redeeming qualities that pulls everyone together, but more importantly allows people to see in another way. He's not actually an idiot: he's simple, loving and just looks at things differently. It's all very touching, yes, and decently funny, but nothing special.

No comments: