Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Skyrim: Immersion

I did not put any consideration into my character before starting the game. In fact, the character creation in Oblivion happened so long ago and was completely forgotten. I forgot that you even choose your name, so when I was prompted in Skyrim to do so, I put in my typical handle: Ryebone. I didn't realize until half a dozen hours later that this was not ideal. For the most part it has no influence over the game, but there are moments where it blares itself: say you are being assassinated, and kill the assassin. Read the note on their body and find out there is a contract on your head, naming you specifically. It's a bit odd jarring to see Ryebone in there: it's not very Elder Scrolls-esque. But such as it is.

Redguard was my race of choice in Oblivion, as it is in this game as well. I feel like they are well rounded fighters, good at using all weapons, and able to capably wield magic. They fit my play style perfectly. However, in Skyrim, the skills and leveling are handled - in my opinion - much better. If you chose a race that excels in magic, you simply get a head start in the skill tree. If I keep casting destruction skills, but destruction levels up and when you're at the max level, everybody is the same. Sure, there are other benefits here and there, like Nord's being more resistant to cold, but whatever. Perhaps my dragon-born character is a descendant of my redguard champion from Oblivion. 

There are many posts about people getting immersed in the game, and I realize that this is a role playing game and that's how people approach it. They create characters and their own backstories, and what amazes me most is how they create artificial rules for themselves while playing the game. It could be something as absurd as being a vegetarian. It's certainly possible: you find lots of fruits and different foods: simply avoid meats and perhaps avoid killing the cute little foxes and rabbits running around. I guess this is a sandbox game that allows you to do quite a bit. I never really looked at it like that: I play the game as I do subconsciously: I use basic magic, and specializing in one-handed blades. I like to keep a tidy house, and collect one of every item I get my hands on. I sell the rest. 

A few difference exist between the two characters. The major difference between my character in Oblivion and Skyrim is that I never sneak, unless the opportunity is too grand to pass up. Oblivion's Varrus (my character) was a devious bastard, who would sneak up to everyone and smash them across the room with his sword. He wore light armour exclusively - another different from my heavy armour loving Redguard in Skyrim.Finally, I am not a thief (not yet - I haven't tackled the thieve's guild storyline yet). I stole everything in Oblivion, and I did it primarily for money, so I can buy better gear. This does not seem to be necessary in Skyrim, as I haven't stolen a single thing yet for profit.

But I never really immerse myself like a traditional role play. I guess, I am playing the game as the game allows me: I'm not doing anything wrong. There's a beauty in that, and it's a big part in what makes this game so great and why it's so universally accepted by a variety of gamers. Be a mage, be a stealth archer, be a tank: it's all up to you. And for the first time in one of these giant games, I'm looking forward to trying a second character.

5 comments:

Dave said...

I'm so terrified of what this game will to do my life that I can't buy it.

Cale Morsen said...

It sure doesn't sound like it's conducive to ye olde sex life there tough guy...

Cale Morsen said...

Also, your blog seems kind of bland (visually). Maybe it's time to spruce it up a bit. Make it more... festive.

Ryebone said...

Bland visually? That's harsh man! It's clean and efficient! I'm surprised I was able to get it to look like this using Blogger. You want some blinking lights for the holidays? heh

Dave, I did the same with Fallout 3: learning my lesson from Oblivion and I didn't buy it until years after release. It was as predicted, and this one is no different :)

It definitely kills the sex life (not that it existed anyway).

Dave said...

I like your blog's look.

I sank at least 50 hours into Fallout 3 but never beat it before losing interest. A friend here has got the GOTY disc and plans to finish everything, including all the DLC. He's a completist who goes for all the achievements, and while I know that lots of people do that, it just sounds insane to me. There are too many other games to play right now (not to mention fun shit in RL) for me to put that much time into a single game!

I definitely understand the appeal of games like Skyrim (and TBH this shit would have been grade-A Dave bait just 5 years ago), but I can't bring myself to limit my diminishing gaming time to a single title anymore.