Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Planet of the Apes. Everyone knows what it is; everyone knows "the twist." But I discovered this past summer that the fact is not so. I was on a "date" or something with a girl while Rise was out in theatres; as we discuss movies I mention that it's on. She asks: "what's planet of the apes?" I quickly scan her face to look for sarcasm, or anything else that would lead me to believe she was joking. I was in disbelief for a bit, and I certainly followed through with my investigation. Put a hat on my head, a cigar in my mouth and a brightly burning naked bulb overhead and I was able to determine that the suspect was telling the truth.

It made me a little sad. I was under the distinct impression that all generations were familiar with this ape planet. After all, Tim Burton's remake from ten years ago (that's right, TEN years, get over it) hit the scene and was somewhat controversial, or at least, I remember it that way. I certainly remember discussion going on, and I remember it hitting the theatres. My roommate had purchased it on two disc special edition DVD, and while he was away on Christmas break I had a look. It was decent enough, and certainly forgettable - at least, I have to assume as such because I really don't remember it.

Then again, I don't really remember watching the original either, although it is fact that I did. It's one of those important films my dad ensured that I would not miss, and for that, I'm forever thankful. It's movies like that, that shaped my love for cinema and my interests so sharply (or broadly, if you can accept that).

It was surprising that after the generally accepted "failure" of the remake, that another modern adaptation would be made. But then you're watching the trailer and James Franco appears - as if out of nowhere - and immediately credence is with the movie. The title is relatively obvious; in just a few words you know the entire plot of the movie. The apes are looking to take over, and here's their story. And it's a decent story, truth be told. I was entertained: the action was good, the story adequate and the special effects solid. I didn't feel as though the movie dragged on, or was very absurd. The only thing that felt out of place was Heston's classic line "keep your hands off me you damn, dirty ape."

Caeser does a fantastic job here, although I found his motivation for turning so "evil" to be a bit far-fetched. Sure, he is left behind, but why doesn't anyone explain to him why? Seems like it might have helped his anger issues a bit, although in the end it doesn't matter. As it should be, it's humans who will undo themselves, this time through playing with genetics (of course). You're practically watching an alternate version of 28 Days Later and any other movie that is remotely similar, which is fine by me and perhaps a bit unfair.

No comments: