Friday, December 23, 2011

Sphere

Last Christmas I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a few old, used books for my father, who loves reading. I wanted to pick up a bunch of Ludlam's Bourne books, and I did. I snagged a few other items at the same time, then I found a book that really stood out: Sphere, by Michael Crichton. It's an original (first edition? I'm not sure) hardcover edition complete with dust jacket, all of which was in great shape. I picked it up for myself, wrapped it up for Christmas and was happy to open it up Christmas morning. Nobody in my family remembered buying it for me, but that's the way sometimes in our holiday.

Now, for those of you who know me, will realize that I absolutely love the movie adaptation of Sphere. My sister bought the DVD for me for me many Christmases ago, and upon first viewing I knew it was right up my alley. Combine that, and that I really do enjoy a good Crichton book, and it just makes sense for me read the book. But for whatever, it would take me a full year to get around to reading it. And read it I did: after just a few sittings I blasted through the book, loving every page of it.

It was incredibly enjoying: I've watched the movie quite a few times so I have an idea of what's going to happen, but as is always the case, the books expands on every aspect, from the characters, basic plot, to - most importantly - the concepts, ideas and the power.

I've seen quite a few science fiction movies, many of which depicting alien life - often, it's a disappointment for whatever reason. Perhaps it's not how you envisioned them; perhaps the special effects weren't doing it justice. And this book kind of addresses the entire first contact situation; I find it extremely fascinating. Norman's report to the government outlines the entire thing, recommending specific people and expertises that should be present. They discuss quite often the probability that aliens would be humanoid (not likely) or even in a form that we can comprehend. They bring along a mathematician because we all assume that the common language for all intelligent life will be math. Right? Makes sense. 2 + 2 is always 4? But what if other life doesn't use math...what if the only sense we have in common is smell. How do you communicate on that? The possibilities are endless, and a little depressing, really. I want to believe. I always have wanted but sometimes the numbers are so stacked against you; in these cases it's good to remain hopeful. Which is why I love this movie and book. As negative as the probabilities are, here we are, presented with an alien situation.

In fact, the question of what the sphere is never truly answered and that's perfect. Is it alien? They allude to the idea that the sphere was collected - in the future - and brought back. It gives people who enter it the power, of which is never fully explained either. How could it? The power itself is never fully understood, aside that it will bring your thoughts to reality. With great power comes great responsibility, and Crichton demonstrates that the human race is not prepared for something of this magnitude. What we're presented with here is an alien that is neither good nor evil: it remains neutral throughout, simply sitting there. Not really mocking, nor taunting, not even encouraging, or pushy. It acts as almost as an amplifier of our own feelings and desires. We're explorers at heart, curious and emotional. The sphere brings it all out.

Crichton always has a way of making you believe everything he writes. The details are obviously researched, but remain entrenched in fiction. The line between the two is blurred; there's certainly a reason why Jurassic Park was as popular as it was. I read that in grade six and truly believed dinosaurs could be cloned; even to this day it seems like a pretty simple process, right? The same goes with everything presented here, which is mainly the underwater habitat, and the ability to fly through a black hole to travel through time. It's all so reasonable when you're reading it in his words.

I was engrossed from the first few pages; the book is fast paced - a much better pace than the movie. In fact you can see where the movie falls flat: leaving out extra characters, situations, philosophy and science. But it's all good really, I love both of them. It's a quick read, and I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I remember being totally engrossed by this book back when I was 11 or 12.