Thursday, November 11, 2010

Red Wii Attack

Oh my, what have I done? With no intention of buying this limited edition printing of the Wii, I was overwhelmed with the urge once I saw it in stores. It was easy to dismiss it until you see it in person, which is very similar to how the Xbox 360 was purchased way back when.

The problem, of course was that I have a Wii, have had it for quite some time, and never really used it to the degree that any other gaming system has gotten. The motion control stuff is just lost on me; it's more of an annoyance than anything else. But, there are a growing collection of games that deserve some attention for their more "serious" approach; they at least minimize the motion control.

So this red edition comes out, bundled with New Super Mario Bros and the new Wii remote with the Motion Plus built in. Pretty snazzy, as I estimate this in my head as at least a hundred dollar value. Somehow, I get it in my mind that if I sell my current system for a decent chunk, buying the new will be equivalent to the purchase of the game and controller. Plus, it's red. I always regretted a little bit not getting the red 360. So this kind of makes up for it.

Picked up the new Wii tonight, wiped out my old system (and a real shame they make it so difficult to transfer downloaded games to a new system) and booted up the new. I even played the new Mario game for a few minutes and had fun doing it. So now I have this colourful system in my collection, and can't help but think this is all about gaming. It's fun, it's not hiding; the Wii is what it is. Just like the goofy looking Gamecube didn't fool around with extraneous features, the Wii is at it's core a game playing machine, and now it looks the part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your old Wii, Rye!

Got a backwards compatible PS3 you wanna see so as to by the new Move bundle? LOL!