Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We Love Katamari

Yes, Katamari has consumed my life again! A few years ago Katamari Damacy came out and rolled through the world; everybody was praising it and you just understood that it's a game you should be playing, but you don't, in actuality. Besides, it was for the pitiful PS2, which is a section of the gaming stores I typically just float by without showing much interest.

But there were games to be had: namely, Shadow of the Colossus. It was getting enough positive reviews and buzz on the internet that I was compelled to pick it up, and it was glorious. Then, a number of weeks later Toys 'R Us had a great deal on games: $15 even! Katamari Damacy was one of the, so I had to pick it up. And I never looked back. All of a suddent the PS2 was this great system with some great games for it.

The world of Katamari sucked me in, although not for a long time. Unfortunately it is quite short, but I did play it quite constantly for a number of days. When it was over, it was over. I was able to re-experience the game through some friends, but generally, I haven't gone back to it often. Then the sequel came out and I just couldn't justify at the time spending over forty dollars for a game that was most likely only going to give a few hours of entertainment.

My mistake at that time was only counting the hours, not the quality of the hours, because as I play the game now, I can say that the time spent playing this game is without a doubt worth more than many other games out there now. I managed to find We Love Katamari for $19 at Blockbuster, which coincidentally is the only place I've seen it in the past year and a half. It was a much higher price until now.

The game is great, with the same bizarre sense of humour, but now with a wonderful self-referential twist added. You're rolling to appease the fans of the first video game, and each fan has different needs. This introduces levels with different goals than to just roll a big of katamari as possible. While these existed in the first, they are refined here. And to me, they are still better than the 360 version (Beautiful Katamari). I found the first game relaxing and this one as well, while Beautiful is much more stressful. This is most likely because the goals are more lenient and you're allowed to pass a level without actually working too hard, or even reaching the goal (there is one level where you have to collect a thousand origami cranes; after numerous tries I've only gotten about nine hundred thirty). While this may seem silly, I think it's great: you can go back and improve your scores and skills, or just roll through the game to the parts you actually enjoy.

Now I have to go back and play the first Katamari over again, and perhaps try the 360 version as well. If I get desperate enough, I may have to buy a PSP to get the third Katamari!

No comments: