Thursday, January 03, 2008

One Hi-Def Movie a Week

A few years ago I fooled around with the idea of buying one DVD a week for an entire year. This failed for a couple of reasons, one of which is money. Without really working, it is difficult to afford such luxeries. Second, is releases. It's not every week that a good movie comes out, right? Third, you end up buying movies that you just don't really want to own, quite simply enough, and we shouldnt' be forced to do those things.

I'm glad I didn't follow through with that plan because with DVD on its way out, I ended up selling over one hundred of them at reasonable prices and was quite happy. After that, I didn't buy a DVD for a couple of years as high definition was just around the corner. I did the same for VHS when DVD was coming out.

So on Christmas 2006, I received an HD-DVD player add-on for the 360, and started purchasing HD-DVD titles. I had the silly idea that I would get one per week for the year, but it very quickly fell apart after three weeks when there was just not enough titles coming out and not enough of a catalog to choose from. It was for the best.

Now, I have the capability of purchasing both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies, and there are tons of titles out there now. Many worth owning? Probably not. But I'm going to try again: purchase one hi-def movie per week for the entire year. There are some ground rules though that I will follow:

1. Don't buy crap you don't want.
2. If you buy two in one week, that covers two weeks; i.e. the movies do not have to be purchased in the actual week. One movie counts as one week, regardless of when it was purchased (as long as it's in the same year).
3. Don't buy crap.

It's important to have rules one and three because I bought a lot of crap on DVD that I somewhat regretted, as they were either cheap or just something to purchase to keep me busy. They tie directly into rule two, which gives me the freedom of not purchasing a movie for four weeks, then making up those four weeks later, or purchasing weeks in advance. That takes the pressure off.

I fully expect movie prices to be crazy for quite a while but there are some quality budget titles being released, such as American Psycho and Total Recall (both of which I purchased boxing day 2007).

I will post about the hi-def discs I purchase and give you a running tally of the money I've spent on them and when they were purchased; I do in fact keep a spreadsheet (yeah yeah, I know, crazy). Based on previous purchases I can expect to spend a little over $1,400 on this project. Wow, that may be enough to get me to abandon the project altogether right now!

No comments: