Thursday, March 29, 2012

Carnage

After thoroughly enjoying Ghost Write, I'm eager to jump on any material Polanski does - personal life and controversies aside, he's a fantastic film maker. So what can you expect out of an eighty minute conversational-driven drama like this? I couldn't place anything on it, I just jumped in. It didn't take long for me to realize what I was watching, and appreciate that this is more of an experiment, albeit a fairly successful one. Only four people compose the cast - four very talented actors and actresses - and give the movie a very intimate, theatre (as in a play) feel. The entire movie takes place in one apartment, and focuses on two sets of parents. Their respective sons were in a fight and this is their attempt to resolve and understand the situation.

I can just imagine that parents can relate to this movie well, especially those with kids. I can understand slightly, as I always question what would happen if my niece was in a fight, or injured by another child (or she injured that child). What are the repercussions? How do the parents deal with it?

What starts off as a very cordial and polite meeting slowly devolves, as the personality types of the parents begin to chip away at one another, revealing issues with their relationships and personalities. They clash together, and they laugh together. It's like watching a tennis match at times, as the proverbial ball of awkwardness and tension blasts back and forth. There are downright hilarious moments, and somewhat revealing ones, I suppose. The movie ends abruptly, without much resolution. But that's life right there. You can argue forever and go nowhere. You'll reveal more about one another and yourself, but end up back at square one.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Just watched this last weekend. Thought it was a riot. The tone is dead-on and Polanski manages to string everything together without the movie overstaying its welcome.