Sunday, March 04, 2012

The Avengers Trailer

My buddy thought it would make for a good post to talk about the latest Avengers trailer that came out last week. I'm not so sure though, I may be too jaded. Yeah, I didn't even watch it until this morning, nearly half a week later. Trailers used to be one of my favourite things to download, archive and watch. I would jump on new trailers like a bug, usually grabbing them in the highest quality available. Now, I just watch them in a little window, on my laptop, on Youtube. How the might have fallen.

So this trailer finally gives us a proper glimpse of our heroes fighting, working together and generally doing their thing. We have the Hulk doing his famous jumps, and Thor swinging his hammer, Captain America punching punching bags and the others just kind of hanging around - there's a reason Hawkeye and the Widow didn't get their own movies - although they probably would have been some of the best if given the proper treatment.

We also get the introduction of our main antagonist in Loki, which makes this feel more like a trailer proper. In previous incarnations we would just get excited that all these superheroes were on screen at once with nobody to really conflict with. We also get a giant flying worm thing, which is cool, but I'm now convinced that The Transformers and Michael Bay are involved in this film now. There is no doubt we will get tons of action, and it's a comic book fans wet dream, but I assume the movie will be fairly predictable, because it always goes this way in comic book crossovers:

1. A quick origin/introduction/backstory for each character so you understand who they are
2. Heroes meet up and start fighting one another
3. They work together when they realize they complete one another
4. Fight the supervillian and march off victorious

Look, I'm not trying to be revelationary here, everyone knows how the movie will go down. It's not about that, right? This is a culmination of years of pretty decent movies, some big actors coming together and generally being super. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I actually look forward to the movie. The reason I'm so late on the trailer is I don't need it: there's been quite a few previews and honestly, I want to be unspoiled for the film. While I may come across as jaded here, I'm really pretty excited - I am a comic book nerd after all.



I think we can all agree that "Avengers Assemble" is a better title than "The Avengers"

No comments: