Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sonic CD

A short while ago (we're talking weeks here, perhaps) Sonic CD was released all over the place. Often touted as one of the best Sonic games, it also seems be one of the more rare titles. You have to understand that any Sonic game on the Genesis has been released on every conceivable platform numerous times, while Sonic CD, for the Sega CD system, has not seen release very often. The only time I can think of off-hand is in the Sonic Gems Collection for the Gamecube and PS2. The previous Mega Collection Plus consisted of about a dozen games but was sorely lacking CD, while the Gems Collection included the fabled game and a few more.  Earlier this year I stumbled across the Gems version, so I had to buy it immediately. The purchase was fueled entirely by nostalgia, as are any other Sonic purchases, for that matter.

Back in 1992 or so, I was getting a Genesis for Christmas, with Sonic packed in. I played it like crazy: who didn't? I never did go on to own any other Sonic Genesis title, but I rented fairly often (my primary way of playing games in the early nineties). I must have rented Sonic CD at one point, as I did make that purchase. The memory is clear though: my friend Paul and I were scouting about town in the middle of summer, with not much to do. We walked downtown Belleville and went into a used CD shop - which also dealt in games - and we saw Sonic CD standing there on the shelf. In those days, the jewel cases were large: thick and tall, and about twice the depth of a standard CD case. The price tag read $40. I must have had around $30 or $35, as we walked out of the store and to Paul's bank. For some reason he remembered one of his bank accounts has being somewhat defunct. I can't make this stuff up: he closed his account that day, extracting seven dollars and change. I never did ask what happened there, because there was one thing on our mind that day: acquiring Sonic CD. And we did; walking back to the store and plunking down our cash.

The deal between us was never discussed: it was my game, but he paid for a percentage of it. Perhaps I paid him back, but that seems unlikely. He came over quite often and we would play it - along with other games - frequently. Perhaps it was bit of a friend tax. Whenever a friend comes over often and drinks a lot of your soda, don't ever feel bad about not returning seven dollars you borrowed from him, as chances are he owes you much more. Regardless of how it went down, it was clearly not the focus. We loved playing Sonic CD. It really is the best 2D Sonic out there; with brilliant music, sharp graphics and tight controls. You could time travel, there was no Tails following you around constantly, and did I mention the music? It was a blast, really.

Years later I would sell all my Sega stuff, and I'm sure Sonic CD was a casualty of a cheap yard sale death.

When I picked up the Gems Collection, I went through the hassle of getting it going. It really was a hassle: get the Wavebird connected to the Wii, find a Gamecube memory card and slap that in. Find out the Wavebird needs batteries, and of course all mine are dead. Sacrifice a remote for it. Get the Wii going because it hasn't been turned on in eight months, and find out it's not even connected to the new television set (which is barely new anymore as half a year has past). It's finally on screen and I'm exhausted; I play for a few minutes and validate the facts of my childhood experience, but I can't relive them. I turn the system off and shelve my collectible.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I find myself spending extra Microsoft Credits on Sonic CD (only 400 points, right?) for the Xbox 360. The actions are practically autonomous, with no memory of my experience just a few months before on the Wii. Do I really need to buy this? No. Why is it happening? To relive that summer memory, laughing to myself as I think about the expression on the teller's face at the bank, the excitement of putting the disc into the system back in ~1994 and watching the animated, FMV intro. I quickly relive those again, but not with the same wonderment that I expect; I'm all alone and too much time has passed. I begin playing the game and immediately dig the music, but now I find myself playing it for the sake of playing it. None of the levels are familiar; the time travelling is loose and happening too often. The game only lasts a half hour before I die, and with that death, goes my interest. Don't get me wrong: the game is still solid, a tightly controlled side scrolling game that deserves the credit. But my time is past; more than 15 years, in fact, and I think that I've emotionally moved on. Those times are behind me now, and I'm a different kind of gamer, for better or worse. I may never play this particular title again, but it's not leaving a bitter taste as it goes. It's amicable; two friends who haven't met in ages passing by one another casually, each understanding the passage of time and how relationships work. We'll continue to miss one another, but not in the same way. This replay of Sonic CD was the exact closure I needed.

No comments: