Friday, January 06, 2012

Bastion

I had a bunch of garbage typed up about this game Bastion, but was never satisfied about it. How do I convey my pure joy and love for this game to you? I tried and failed, and now you won't see the result. What you get is this: Bastion is my pick for game of the year. Lo and behold, just a few days ago I was telling you how I couldn't effectively choose a favourite movie (nay, anything) of the year, but I've since doubled back and taken my mighty hammer to the back of your collective heads. There is no doubt - as I revisit the absurd idea of choosing a winner - that this game deserves it.
The summer was hot, but I didn't mind; the heat didn't last long and I was consuming a steady stream of Iced Cappuccino's. I purchased the game almost on a whim, or as close as a whim as I can do: I read about the game on Joystiq and other gaming sites a couple of times. I couldn't comprehend what made it so special but people were talking about it. Arriving at home, I downloaded the trial on the Xbox, and proceeded to play. It was everything and more. You see, the hook of the game is the narration. A perfect voice, the narrator will chime in with words of wisdom, commenting on your actions and offering anecdotes that progress the story in an entirely unique manner. Yes, the narration was there, implemented perfectly and it was awesome. After playing the first level, I chose to "unlock" the game: just shut up and take my money.

I continued playing, sipping the cool beverage as I lay spread out on the couch, sweating slightly but consistently. Hours would go by and I was still playing; the music kept pulling me in. The next level awaited. New weapons unlocked, new characters to talk to, new challenges. For an inexpensive, online title, this game was deep. The gameplay was right up my alley: isometric view, without any ridiculous camera tricks. You can move with one stick and attack with a few buttons. Keep it simple, they say, and they say it for a reason. Before each level you can select your favourite two weapons, and mix in a special attack. Your combination will bring out a quip from the narrator, making you proud for choosing what you did. A wide variety of weapons makes sure you don't get bored, although that's never a factor.

The story is engrossing, and weighty. There are moments that make you think, near the end of the game. There is certainly commentary to be made, statements about fate, about choosing, sacrifice and everything else. That's practically all besides the point. You see, when I was playing I wasn't considering all that; I was just have an absolute blast. Then the ending came, and I realized how far in I was invested. I stared the screen down, my cool, iced drink melted and forgotten. There is an option to play again, keeping all your progress with weapons intact. The second playthrough, the narration changes slightly, as the narrator comments on deja vu, wondering if we had done this all before. How many times have we gone through it now? At what point do you stop caring about the past and look onward to the future?

This is an experience that must be done; I haven't played in a few months and wanted to write about it but had to wait until the right moment. To let you know that this is the best game of the year was the moment. Months after the game release, the publisher opened an online store and began selling the soundtrack (amazing) but they had other items. I bought them all, in one fanboy-driven package: an art print with signatures from the game developers; a shirt, a cloth flag and the audio CD, which I'm listening to as I write this.

When you think about all the mega-franchises that do nothing to innovate, or when you think about how you tire of gaming in general, you look towards games like these. This is what I'm in it for.

No comments: