Monday, July 04, 2011

Movie Update - June 2011

Last month was just a torrent of movie consumption. It's not often this happes, but it really depends on what's going on in any particular month. May was Hawaii, which meant I was gone for most of the month and not taking in any films. Perhaps June was my month to make that up, as I took a whole bucket-load in. In no particular order:

Videodrome
My Girl
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Choke
Rubber
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Adjustment Bureau, The
Paul
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Gnomeo and Juliet
Insomnia
X-Men: First Class
Enter the Void
Piranha 3D
Company Men, The
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Pirate of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest



Actually that's a straight up lie: the above is in order of viewing. What stood out? Well, I seemed to get into the franchise thing with Pirates of the Caribbean, but couldn't bear to load the third film. The first one was magnificent and exactly what I wanted. The second was convoluted, corny and it only got worse from there. I watched all three Lord of the Rings movies (extended, of course) thanks to their BluRay release this month. It's been so long since I watched them that I was completely engrossed in them. For all the moaning of how long they are and perhaps tedious at times, they really are fantastic films that immerse you in the world of Middle Earth.

Aside from that, just some other solid films, with a couple of quirky ones thrown in for good measure. I'm trying to watch some old classics, hence the My Girl viewing in there (and yeah, it got me teary-eyed). Paul was a riot and Rubber is bound to become a cult classic, one I'm happy to be a member of.

No comments: