Friday, July 01, 2011

Fringe

It truly is a wondrement that I don't watch Fringe week to week. Perhaps, because when the ball starts rolling I don't want to wait the seven measly days, so instead I put a hundred or more between myself and the series before fully embracing it. In the third season of Fringe, I watched occasionally, and I'm happy to say the show certainly supports that. It's not like Lost where every single episode counts; Fringe is more like its predecessor, the X-Files, where they take a little break every now again from the mythos episodes and let you fall further in love with the world. So I'm going about my regular viewing habits and Fringe catches my collar and never lets go. So it's a good thing I waited long enough that I could blast through the last twelve episodes, and even take in the last three episodes of the season in one day.
I was not disappointed, obviously. This show blows me away every year. Sometimes I hear something in the media - a commentary, perhaps, or insight - and I can't let it go. In this case, I recall reading that the creators of the show were going to distance themselves from the like of Lost by revealing more and more frequently. I believe it was at the end of the first season where they reveal an alternate universe, and explaining why many of these fringe-events are occurring. And they just keep going; the season finale of this past season is just crazy. I won't spoil anything for you, because I know some of you haven't caught up yet, but I plead you to do so. But in all the reveals they bring up even bigger mind-benders, which is exactly what happens here in not only one, but two ways. I have a lot of faith in the writers and the direction the show is going: they are keeping it fresh every year (perhaps learning their lesson in the oddly-paced first part of the intro season). As a lover of sci-fi, there's nothing better on TV right now.

No comments: