Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Subway Points

It came to my attention today that Subway has introduced Subway points. More than likely I'm very far behind the curve of this but it's news to me today as I treated myself to an overpriced sub.

She handed me a card and I didn't have to sign anything, which is a big plus. This means you can steal it from me and it won't have my information on it. It also means you cannot say no to accepting another piece of plastic into your already overwhelmed wallet. So now it's in there and I have eight points.

You get one point for every dollar you spend at Subway. This is pure devastation, as I like the system but not the rewards. It costs ten points for one cookie. That's a ten dollar cookie you are eating. A full length sub will set you back seventy-five dollars.

It probably wouldn't be so bad except the conversion from your dollar to a Subway point is blisteringly obvious and very easily calculated. With the stamps before, you could never be certain how much that six-inch cost you. It may have been a combination of expensive subs, cheap subs or what have you. But you certainly couldn't buy one meal and say "I just netted a free cookie. Just one though."

2 comments:

Cale Morsen said...

I was at Topper's pizza the other day and they have a card system as well with stickers you get on your receipt. I don't know why, but your story reminded me about it.

velodi said...

Brian, you crack me up.