Friday, May 09, 2008

Call of Duty 4

In the past eighteen months I have played through both Call of Duty 2 and 3 and walked away feeling as though I had a great video gaming experience. What really got me with these games is the sense of awe, and the excitement of playing out certain scenes throughout the game. I would swivel my character's head around with my mouth wide open in wonderment at the insanity; the detail in the world, the characters, explosions and sound. It constantly made me appreciate what our veterans went through, as I know what happened in the game cannot be any real close approximation of what the true events were like, but if this was even a fraction? Well, that's just insane.

So number four didn't really have the same effect on me. There were some great scenes, but nothing mind-blowing like the previous ones. The weapons? I don't keep up on this stuff so they all look futuristic and crazy to me. The weapons from the previous games are so well established and iconic and that is somewhat lacking here.

The interesting thing to note about this game is that it is actually the third title from Infinity Ward, as Call of Duty 3 was developed by somebody else. And it shows. Call of Duty 3 suffered from a major amount of inivisible walls, bad clipping and generally annoying AI. Number two and four have a much more polished feel to them, with spot-on gameplay (I never played the first one). As well, the achievements seem to make a lot of sense, and after playing Modern Warfare, I was left with just 290 points.

It was time to jump into veteran difficulty. I tried this one Call of Duty 2 and only got through a couple of levels before I had to call it quits. With this one, I managed to get through a few more levels, bolstering my score a bit, and I didn't feel like I was going to throw the controller through the window. But, I know my limits, as I reached one level in particular, and cannot last until the first checkpoint. So now the game goes back to the store and I get ready for another first-person adventure: The Orange Box.

No comments: