Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds on Blu-Ray

When I got home from work Friday there was a package from Amazon that I had completely forgotten ordering. In the package was the Blu-Ray of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City.

I like music on DVD, mainly because you get a higher resolution sound and in most cases, surround sound. The Flaming Lips have put out two great discs so far with very aggressive 5.1 mixes. I was thinking that a Dave Matthews live performance in 5.1 would be pretty fantastic as well. The thing that I did not expect was a full acoustic performance with the rest of Dave's band. Just Dave and Tim. It still sounds great, although focused entirely with the front speakers, and of course the hi-def looks fantastic.

The performance runs about two and a half hours; I've made it through about an hour already and have been quite impressed. These guys are excellent guitarists and hearing Dave Matthews' songs are always great.

Years ago I was a huge fan of Dave Matthews Band and couldn't stop listening to them constantly. I must have gone a little overboard because I have slowed down quite a bit, even to the point where they're not in the regular rotation. What really killed it, I think, was the plethora of live performances coming out on CD, and the fact that they were all so identical. Listening to their marathon jam sessions at the end of some songs (with tracks reaching twenty minutes long) does not make for good random-play music, hence the removal from casual listening.

But, with this recent acquisition, their music may be played a bit more as I try and get all of their albums (I think I only own two, plus a live performance).

No comments: