Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Destiny Video

One of the features I was excited for on the PS4 is the Share button, and all the things that it could enable on the system. Specifically, I liked that it was going to record the last fifteen minutes of gameplay and allow me to save that with a touch of a button. It works, and it works well. So far, I've recorded a few gaming sessions and saved them locally, but haven't done anything with it, because the options are limited: Facebook or Twitter (I think). With the latest update we can now upload to YouTube, which is ideal. So this past weekend I decided to upload a video I took of me playing my very first Salvage match in Destiny. Here's how it went.


  1. Figure out that I can't just upload the raw video to YouTube.
  2. Download and install Sharefactory on the PS4
  3. A week later, remember that I installed it.
  4. Open Sharefactory, become somewhat confused by the lack of options in it.
  5. Start a Project in Sharefactory.
  6. Choose my opening bumper video.
  7. Try to figure out which video has my gameplay in it (it's been over a month).
  8. Spent a weird amount of time trimming the video.
  9. Figure out how to export the project.
  10. See that Sharefactory was going to take 30 minutes to render the video.
  11. Come back hours later.
  12. Connect PS4 account to YouTube
  13. Enter my 30 character random password manually into PS4 interface. Twice. This took a long time.
  14. Start upload to YouTube.
  15. Uploading takes just over an hour.
  16. Play Destiny for a few hours.
  17. Receive confirmation of video upload from YouTube.


It seems like a lot of steps and in all honesty, it was. It was also the first run through, which is a learning experience: future endeavors will go by with a buttery smoothness, I'm sure. Now I just have to fight with my Ryebone YouTube account, which is attached to my Google+ account, which forces me to use a first and last name, so it shows up like "Rye Bone" which just kind of sucks.

As for the video itself, you can see it below. It was my first Salvage match, and it's a bit rough. I don't even know what weapons to use because I'm pretty new to the Crucible. But I make it through. My team is all-star. Then I see that the other team had some dropped players, making it infinitely easier for us. It gets a bit more interesting near the end, where somebody else joins the competition and we have to do a bit more fighting. Most importantly, I never die - until just moments after the match is finished. Really, it was a good experience and I'm encouraged to upload more later on. After intense matches of Star Craft, my friends and I would spend just as much time watching the replay together and making commentary.


No comments: