Friday, March 28, 2014

Six Months of Movies: July to December 2013

Ah yes, it's that time again. Well, it was really that time a couple of months ago, but I'm a master procrastinator. It's nearing the end of March and all the stats have been waiting to be assimilated into something greater


Fig 1; July 2013 to December 2013

What happened in November and December? Apparently I had a great number of free weekends and very little else to do, as I was watching movies constantly. I also utilized my time better: there are so many instances where a couple of hours goes by without anything happening, so I made an effort to fill those periods with a short movie here and there. If only I watched one more movie in December, it would have set a record, but instead it's still sitting at 17 in any given month.

Fig 2; July through December Three Year Comparison
Now we have three years worth of data for one period. I knew this would pay off long term! 2013 and 2012 follow nearly the same path, although 2013 generally had more each month. Something happened in October that caused a major dip in intake, wherein in 2010 it was the complete opposite for the horror themed month. My initial thought was my friend, Cale, when we both lived in the same city. October was most likely a lot of horror movies being watched, and when we moved apart, that trend stopped.

Fig 3; Total Movies in 2013 by Month
Finally, we have a month by month break down of total movies watched. It's quite the rollercoaster ride.

At the end of 2013, I subscribed to Letterboxd, which has provided for even more statistics that I couldn't hope to create on my own. They even create a handy little page for it, which can be found here. I'll give you a little rundown of what it says though.

  • Total Movies watched in 2013: 143
  • 263.5 hours of movies
  • 11.9 movies per month
  • 2.8 movies per week
  • Sunday has the most movies watched at 43
  • Thursday is the lowest day, with 10 overall
  • Top Genres:
    • Thriller
    • Action
    • Drama
  • 30.8% of movies were made in 2013
  • 91.6% of movies I was watching for the first time
  • Most common rating I gave movies was 3.5 / 5

Check out some of the older posts:
Six Months of Movies: July to December 2012
Six Months of Movies: January to June 2013

No comments: