Friday, November 22, 2013

Heavy Rotation: Singles 2013

As I mentioned in my previous Heavy Rotation post, I started a new job that wasn't really music friendly. That is, I can't really use headphones and playing music through speakers isn't going to happen when some people are in the room (my office is a large, window-less room with three people in it, including my immediate supervisor). So Rdio takes an even bigger hit, and listening to music at home typically involves putting on MP3s (or whatever format they are in - I like to collect FLAC). As this downturn in office listening occurs, an upturn in mobile listening comes out. I've put together a "Singles 2013" playlist on Rdio which is composed of any singles that I've taken an interest in. I think it's a pretty awesome mix, if I do say so myself. It comes on in the car all the time, in the house while I'm doing chores, and whenever I want to listen to some seriously solid songs.

As of right now, Singles 2013 stands at 21 tracks. It took some effort to clock in over 15 or so because of a lifetime of limited CD capacity. It was a mental barrier that I broke through now and feel pretty good about it. It's also evolving. There are tracks that I have removed for a variety of reasons, mainly because they weren't good. Here's the list:

1. Justin Rutledge - Out of the Woods
2. City and Colour - Thirst
3. Young Galaxy - What We Want
4. Iron & Wine - The Desert Babbler
5. Vampire Weekend - Ya Hey
6. Small Sins - Where There's Gold
7. Metronomy - The Look
8. Broken Bells - The High Road
9. Cold War Kids - Miracle Mile
10. Half Moon Run - Full Circle
11. Rosie June - Sound it Out
12. Dustin Bentall & The Smokes - You Are An Island
13. John Grant - Black Belt
14. Woodkid - Run Boy Run
15. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
16. Razorlight - Wire to Wire
17. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads will Roll
18. Cold War Kids - Lost That Easy
19. MGMT - Time to Pretend
20. Ellie Goulding - Lights
21. Katy Perry - Roar

We still have a bit of time left in 2013 so there may be some further additions. It's also worth noting that not all these tunes were released in the title year, they're simply songs that I have discovered for myself and started listening to now. That was another hurdle for me to overcome. Mission accomplished.

Oh, and a YouTube playlist with just about all the songs above: Singles 2013

And if you're on Rdio:

No comments: