Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Collection of The Collector


First, let’s get this out of the way and just say that the first movie in this two-part series is absolutely terrible. I hated it. Yet, I continued to watching it; chalk that up to its short run time I guess, and the mood being where it was at. The second film – The Collection – was much better (although still bad, I suppose).

What happened? Well, it was a Sunday afternoon and I was hunting for something to watch, so I had a look at recent movies I've acquired and there sat The Collector. Now, normally I would browse right past this movie but recently the sequel had come out and I had a brief discussion with my friend about it, and how it could be a good horror b-movie to watch one night. Then he said it was the sequel to a film: The Collector. Makes sense, but in my mind: my friend knew about this film series and hence, it may be worth watching. I do enjoy these short thrillers from time to time.

Well, the first act of The Collector was insensible and seemingly pointless. I had difficulty following along, as I was drawn to my tablet for some casual Reddit browsing. The main character had a lurid past (maybe) as he was mixed up with the wrong people; the same people who were now forcing him to crack a safe in somebody’s house to get something, or else his family was in “trouble” which I took to mean, they would be tortured and murdered brutally. So our protagonist goes into this house (which he is somewhat familiar with already because he’s a handyman of sorts who was working there earlier) and discovers that somebody else is also in the house (who does not belong) and all of a sudden, the entire house is full of traps and deadly obstacles!  Our friend here had managed to get all the way into the master bedroom but was now trapped inside the house, unable to leave.

My first thought was how long it would take our killer to setup all of this in the house. In movie time, it must have taken a short while but the traps are elaborate enough that I could foresee a team of contractors taking days to get this stuff done. In any case, we find out the family is in trouble (the parents trapped in the basement, being tortured) and the young daughter is hiding somewhere – apparently for hours as the collector setup the house. The movie turns into a claustrophobic, fairly generic thriller from here on out, with predictable results and a cliché ending. Here’s my malfunction with this (because otherwise it would be merely decent): the Collector does not collecting in the movie, or at least, doesn't make it clear why the movie is called The Collector. He’s just trapping, and killing people in horrific ways. I got a heavy Saw sense from this, and lo-and-behold, it turns out this was written as a Saw sequel but was rejected; presumably it was retooled a bit to get its own franchise going. The second item was how the protagonist’s family issue was completely unresolved: midnight came and went, with not a mention of them. The credits rolled and I was left to wonder.

Fear not though, because the family is back in the second one, just to confirm that they were OK, I guess.

The second movie was much, much better. There was very little setup as we get into the traps and horrific deaths very quickly. This is kind of what you came for, and it delivered: a movie-standard team of heavily armed “professionals” enter the Collector’s warehouse of terror with the goal of saving a girl and proceed to die one by one. But here’s the key: they add a little backdrop by throwing in media reports: the Collector is a serial killer who traps people in their own house – killing them of course – but taking one person home. They indicate that there are about fifty missing people so presumably, his home base is going to be full of these people and they are also going to die horrifically. Our protagonist from the first film comes back to guide the goon squad and what we’re left with is a fairly tight, short film that doesn't linger long before showering us with blood and gore. Predictable? Of course, but that’s beside the point when taking in a film that knows exactly what it is, which the filmmakers seemed to have missed on the first go around.

In the end, neither one makes a compelling reason to spend time with: skip the first and see the second, or skip them both.

No comments: