Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Entourage: Series Finale

Many years ago I blasted through the first three season of Entourage. It was an addiction, I'm sure, but the series was really good. And it stayed good for quite some time; perhaps in the seventh season things took a bit of a stumble. And then I was suddenly watching the final season, and another sudden I'm done watching the last episode. I sit back and wonder what happened, where did it all go? Why were there only eight episodes in the final season? The show is practically an afterthought (but then there is all that talk about an Entourage movie).

Lately I've been finding myself watching the series finale of a few different shows I've been in tune with for quite some time. Entourage was always the go-to one for a quick (half hour) show that offered a glimpse into a surreal Hollywood of celebrities and general insanity. More importantly it was a glimpse into friendship: the entourage itself consisted of four guys who couldnt' be any closer. They share everything and depend on one another, but also thrive off one another. Fighting happens but they always rebound; the friendships are beyond a level at which feelings can be much of a concern.

But I wanted to comment on the finale itself. I'm happy with it. It's a pretty happy ending that didn't need to wrap things up because that's not how the show is. In fact it ends just as any other season: a delicate balancing act between offering more intrigue and leaving doors open, leaving the audience satisfied to a degree that the show could never come back and we know things are O.K. Well, perhaps not the last season with Vince ending the season being caught with drugs, but that's why I say the last season was a bit of a low point for the series. Essentially, the show doesn't leave you with cliffhangers. The show ends with you wanting much more, as it hits a stride that ends abruptly.

You could argue - I suppose - that things were wrapped up too easily. Especially in regards to E and Sloan's relationship. Ari's marriage is perhaps the only thing that has had a proper arc throughout the series. Everyone comes out a winner and when the credits rolled, I was happy (the most important thing).

No comments: