Friday, June 03, 2011

Piranha 3D

Well, I did some reading and it doesn't look like this is an actual sequel: it's not the third in the series, but rather, a remake of the original. I haven't seen that one either. And seemingly, this movie was cashing in on the 3D craze, and what better movie to showcase it? It's fitting that Avatar is released just prior to this film, as Piranha 2 was directed by Cameron himself. But apparently this movie was "meant for 3D" before the whole craze began, justifying the expense of turning the extra dimension. I will make one point though: this movie has no shame, and you can't knock it for what it rips off: the movie just doesn't care.

Do the actors in the movie care? Richard Dreyfuss? Perhaps this movie was supposed to be bigger than I had given it credit. Upon first viewing of the trailer I LOL'd and had a desire to see it; the promise of nudity and crazy amounts of gore almost guaranteed that I show up. Alas, it was not meant to be. Instead, I watch this movie while eating dinner and need something playing in the background. More times than once I had to stop what I was doing and check out the insanity: what gruesome fatality can they conjure up next? Apparently quite a few, and the beauty of the shortness of the movie is that the gig never gets tired.

In today's day of age I felt like this had more setup and substance than should be here, considering I was expecting a dumb horror movie. The humour is crude and definitely not for everyone, but you have to expect that going into a comedy horror such as this. And the brightness of the movie is a nice change of pace in an age of gory movies drenched in darkness. Sure, this makes the CGI more obvious, but who's paying attention to that? My only regret is not seeing this in the third dimension.

No comments: