Saturday, December 08, 2007

At World's End

Remember really enjoying the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie? And remember being disappointed at the second one, because of the cliff-hanger and the stupid hijinks? Now remember as you're bored watching the third one. That's the way I feel about it, at least.

I loved the first one, if not for anything else than to see skeletons doing stuff. And of course in retrospect, I really appreciate its simplicity. The third Pirates movie is really long. I felt like the movie had barely started an hour and fifteen minutes in, and to realize there is almost double that left, the prospect of turning it off to finish watching another day was strong. But, I kept watching, as the movie did pick up thankfully.

Perhaps it was just the state of mind I was in, but I really couldn't comprehend what was going on for the first while. People are dead, they are coming back to life, let's travel to hell, essentially? I don't know. There are pirate lords now? And then a pirate king? Everybody is being turned into a captain and nobody is bad-ass anymore. Jack Sparrow is kept in neutral as he is lost within the convoluted storyline and Kiera is just weird and Orlando Bloom is barely there: mentally at least. I'm not even sure what he was doing in this movie, to be honest: you could tell he doesn't want to be there anymore, and they wrote his character into a mis-guided idiot.

Anyway, you can see that I didn't really enjoy the movie. But I did enjoy the special effects, of course, and the final action sequence (for the most part). I also appreciated that there were no scenes where people were trapped inside balls rolling down hills for twenty minutes.

No comments: